Frinton Crossing Keepers

Dates Lastname Forenames Photograph Position Details
? Fairclough Doug Frinton, Crossing Keeper

? Barnham Ben Frinton, Crossing Keeper

? to 2009? Foskew John Frinton, Crossing Keeoer The last crossing keeper at Frinton before the gates were removed

1896 - 1921 Rowlands William Frinton, Crossing Keeper Frinton's first permanent live-in level crossing gate-keeper and father of James Walker Rowlands, owner of Rowlands Ironmongers in Old Road

According to 1901 and 1911 census he lived at 'Gatehouse' with his wife and two sons.

1901 ?? to be confirmed Rice Albert Frinton, Porter/Crossing Keeper Information from Granddaughter 26 May 2015
(father was Trevalyn)
Lived at 10 Hadleigh Road, Frinton (houses re-numbered at some point)
Wife's name was Charlotte had son Albert (who died when he was 10), daughter Eunice, son Trevalyn and daughter Hilda Ellen.

Information from 1911 Census
Married, 30 years old, Born Mellis Suffolk.
Lives at 6 Hadleigh Road, Frinton-on-Sea with wife Charlotte, son Albert and daughter Eunice.

The photograph below is of Albert and his wife Charlotte on their Golden Wedding Anniversary.



1911 ?? Canel Jimmy Frinton, Crossing Keeper?

1921 to 1959 Bright Jack (John) Frinton, Crossing Keeper Extract from East Essex Gazette 1st May 1970.
Former Frinton Gatekeeper Dies.
Known to thousands as Frinton's Gatekeeper for nearly 40 years, Mr Bertie john (Jack) Bright died at his home on Monday. He was 75. A native of Bradfield, Mr Bright came to the Frinton district as a boy when his father was village policeman at Kirby. When he left school he joined the railway as a porter at Sudbury. At the outbreak of the First World War he joined the Royal Naval Division. He was taken prisoner and in his period of captivity he was shot in the ankle by a German guard. As a result of the neglect of the wound, he was paralysed when he was repatriated in 1918. His leg was amputated below the knee and he rejoined the railway as gateman at Frinton Railway Station where he remained until his retirement 13 years ago.
On retirement, having lost his wife shortly before, (Mrs Bright actually died shortly after moving to Holland) Mr Bright moved to Merrilees Crescent, Holland-on-Sea next door to his son and daughter in law.
Mr Bright was a member of York Road Bowling Club and Frinton Memorial Club.
The Funeral is at Colchester Crematorium on Monday.

The following article is taken from East Essex Gazette 27th December 1957

1935 - 1968 Banks Ike (Arthur Edward) Frinton, Walton, Porter and Stand in Crossing Keeper Arthur Edward Banks started as a porter at Frinton in 1935 then he was promoted and transferred to Walton in 1963. Arthur retired in 1968. He also helped build the station wall at Frinton.

Born at 7 Witton Wood Lane (as it was called then) on 7th January 1905
Married Lucy Kate Spencer on 7th November 1931 at Walton Parish Church, lived in Churchfield Road for the rest of his life
Died of a stroke on 15th July 1974


1960 - 1999 Griggs Geoffrey Frinton, Kirby Cross, Clacton, Crossing Keeper / Porter Geoff worked at Frinton, Kirby and Clacton as a Signalman / Porter.

Geoff visited the Frinton Signal box on 27 August 2013

1960 ? - 1967 Fairhurst Albert Clacton/Frinton, Crossing Keeper

1960 ? - 1967 Chapman Stan Clacton, Booking Clerk and Frinton, Crossing Keeper Stan lived his whole life (except for the war years) at Kirby Cross - during the war Stan was a prisoner of war and worked on the Burma Railway in his late teens.
Stan was the Level Crossing keeper at Frinton during the 1960's.
He died during 2010 - 2011 at Kirby Cross - and was in his early nineties.


1960's Ham Tony Kirby Cross, Station Staff (?) Frinton, Walton and Thorpe, Stand-in Crossing Keeper. Photograph of Tony painting the white line along the edge of one of the platforms at Kirby.

1962 to ?? Bancroft Charley Frinton, Porter/Crossing Keeper

1973 - 2001 Rose Roger Frinton Crossing Keeper and Booking Clerk also worked at Thorpe-le-Soken. Tony Baxter Hon Sec "ONTRACK RUA" provided this information.
Roger Rose:
The Association was represented at the funeral of Roger Rose on 12th April, 2011. Roger transferred from Downham Market to Frinton station as crossing keeper in 1973, later moving to the booking office at Frinton and later to Thorpe-le-Soken prior to his retirement in 2001.
A life-long railway enthusiast (and railway modeller), Roger will be remembered by regular passengers for the huge fires he used to build in the waiting room at Frinton station on cold winter mornings, and for his announcements "London train" to those in the waiting room as their train approached from Walton.
Roger also established the North-East Essex Railway Association (NEERA) in 1981/82. He organised many special trains, the profits of which went to the Essex Air Ambulance. For many years he was a member of the North Norfolk Railway as it is believed that he moved here from Downham Market.


If you have any information regarding Local Railway Staff then please contact us